Tuesday, April 20, 2010

With Regards To My Bible (Facebook Re-post).

The following post was originally posted on my Facebook Notes' page last night.



As you've probably read in one of my posts yesterday (or a couple of days ago), I've misplaced my Bible.

I've misplaced (even lost) books before but somehow, this is different. This is entirely different. See, my mum gave me that Bible when my family went for a visit in St. Claire's Chapel in Cabuyao. That was May 1999. 10 years. Nearly 11, really. That long of a time that that Bible was in my possession. And yet I wasn't able to read the whole thing. Sure, I've read books and chapters of it, but never really the whole thing. Funny, how I can muster up enough strength and enthusiasm to finish a whole series from Rowling or the works of Coelho, Albom, and heck, even Encyclopedias and acad-related books, but cannot even finish reading the Bible.

Sigh. I'm disappointed, really, because I was planning on reading it this summer and also to help me with the YLSS, especially since it'll be my first time to serve as a member of the Pastoral Team. Perfect timing, eh? Ha ha.

I know I could just replace it, and believe me, I tried. I even got help from Vin, Vel, and Liz, but to no avail. I simply couldn't find a Bible "at par" with the one I've had. I know I sound silly because of course, the Bible's contents do not vary greatly (or at all). I almost gave up and I came to the point wherein I told myself not to get a new Bible because it wouldn't "feel" the same. At that moment, I felt weak. I felt vulnerable, since my "sword" is nowhere to be found, and couldn't be replaced.

I simply couldn't let go of the 10 (plus plus) years that I shared with my Bible. I became attached to it, without me even knowing.

But then it dawned on me. My Bible was just a book. Sort of like a package. What's important is what's on the inside. On the pages of the Bible. The words. His words. His words for me.

"My Bible" is not really gone. In fact, it'll never be gone. For as long as I believe in His words, I would have "My Bible", even if I'm not holding the same old, brown-leather bound Bible that my Mum gave me.

Now, the search for the next "My Bible" officially begins :)



P.S: I think this is one of God's ways to teach me the art of letting go and moving on. Ha ha!

No comments: